The Fossils is a non-profit
organization whose purposes are to stimulate interest in and
preserve the history of independent publishing, either separate
from or organized in the hobby known as “Amateur Journalism,” and
to foster the practices of amateur journalism.
The Historians of Amateur Journalism
To this end, The Fossils preserved the
Library of Amateur Journalism, a repository of amateur papers
and memorabilia dating from the 1850s, acquired in 1916 and
donated in 2004 to the Special Collections Department of the
University of Wisconsin-Madison, and located in Memorial Library.
The Fossils encourages financial
donations to support the LAJ.
Individuals or institutions allied with our goals are invited
to join The Fossils. Dues are $15 annually, or $20 for joint
membership of husband and wife. Annual subscription to The
Fossil without privileges of membership is $10.
You can read the By-Laws of
The Fossils (PDF file format -- Adobe
Use the navigation bar at the top of
the page to access information on this site:
- Return to this page.
- Listings of awards presented by The Fossils.
- The Fossil
- The text from recent issues of The Fossil, the Official Organ.
- Information about amateur journalism history.
- Public collections of amateur journals.
- How to join The Fossils or contact the webmaster.
- Links to other amateur journalism groups' Web sites.